Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winter Wonderings and Wanderings


What is there to look at in the winter at Adkins Arboretum? I hear that a lot, but I love winter interest in the garden and at the Arboretum, and maybe we just have to look a little harder to find that winter beauty.

The majestic structure of the deciduous trees allows a clear view of songbirds and even a few raptors. You may find splashes of color from berry-producing shrubs in the woodland. In winter, there is a visibility of the wetland only seen at this time of year. 

This morning, I had the most beautiful surprise as I walked on the bridge. To my surprise, a graceful great blue heron flew under me and through the wetland. A little snow dusting on the trails would be the only additional component to a walk in the woods on a winter’s day.

by Robyn Affron
Master Gardener, Certified Professional Horticulturist, and Arboretum Receptionist

No comments: